Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Women Playing With Mens Cocks

A debate on the "Model Almería" in ECOAGRA

in recent days I have been in discussion with Jorge Hernandez Almería purpose of the model through a mailing list espcializada in agricultural economics and natural resources. What follows is the result of cutting and pasting in order messages. For better performance I used colors: red for action by Jorge and green for me.


Sent: Monday, April 4, 2011 12:58
On the so-called Model Almería two points, giving my humble point of view. I say modest because a large part I think their time intervening in what was an intensivist model of horticulture. In this respect I confess that helped much to the Dutch who founded Land of Almeria, my contributions to the horticultural economists Congress 84 years entitled "Influence of water costs in fruit and vegetable production." Since the 77 was one of the first specialists of Spain in localized irrigation, which was derived from the production model of Almeria. But I insist that the irrigation technique is not negative.

The first is news from the Netherlands: Dutch vetoes English vegetables? http://www.gastronomiaycia.com/2011/03/30/holanda-veta-las-hortalizas-espanolas /
remind the audience that a boycott was similar in nature and by Switzerland. And Germany, speaking for three years on the market campaigns horticultural chemical residues. And both times there were claims of patriotism, who deny the internal social criticism in our country, as if to cheer the football team of Spain is involved. In the case of civil rights groups in Switzerland had to hear that they applied the word terrorist. Big mistake that worsened the problem.
second.: It is undeniable that biological control in Almería was buried for years in the hands of certain ccooperativas and field of science that have not made them any attention. Now these people have been rehabilitated and integrated farming has recently extended minus the presence of pesticides and synthetic chemicals. I welcome! But I still see a monoculture model a problem as much standardized varieties and species produced, leading to risk of viruses. For something Biodiversity is encouraged by the United Nations. And agriculture greenhouse forced says production, but limited to standard products with limited health and pleasure with sensual pleasure capital. Solution? There is and ever shall be. Among others, balance scales in favor of a more local and diversify agriculture facilities in order to avoid the absurd CONCENTRATION and social exploitation of the South. Remember what was said to the slaves on farms than the> Wind. Yque las Cortes de Cadiz, which celebrates both Mr. Rajoy, left intact the slavery abolitionist Zaragoza my countrymen were ordered to fight later.
In Spain, many English and English type.! So let us escape from stereotypes and proceed to dialogue rather than wild conversions have not prepared the future.



At 7:41 05.04.2011, David Ucles Aguilera wrote:
Dear George, I'm glad you pointed out. I get the impression by your constant references to named model is not exactly Almería saint of your devotion. But I think that you're not fair to him. Of course it has many faults, but we must recognize some virtue. Before intensive agriculture (I remember it was called so because it was LABOR intensive and capital, not only in capital), or rather, before there was irrigated horticulture in Almería This was the poorest province of Spain (below even the provinces of Galicia and Extremadura), and people migrated en masse (between 1910 and 1981 left the province the equivalent to 95% of the population that was in the Census 1910). In a way, the economic redemption of the province came from the vegetables (as in the past wine grape, or orange or mining, all primary production or extraction with a focus on international markets).
On the other hand, when discussing agrobussines model, there is a very corporate image of agriculture, but the reality that still predominates in the province is the small family farm (the average holding no exceed 2 hectares). This model allowed the benefits were distributed fairly homogeneous population, allowing the emergence of a large agricultural middle classes who are the backbone of the economy provincial. On the other hand, the existence of about 27,000 hectares. (Years ago the area and nocrece) has allowed the development of local business products and services for the agriculture, supplanting more than one occasion, the role of multinationals and allowing the development of a new economic sector. That is, this is a model with some important social benefits.
Since the mid 90's, the generational change in the holdings and the extension of the academic life of future generations was an important process of paid employment in farm work, until that currently supported by over-exploitation of family labor.
The growing demand for labor made it possible for Almeria began to be the gateway for illegal immigration that had the potential to start their European dream on farms , Almeria, which always considered as a way station.
Here there is a complicated vicious circle of resolution. While it is true that in the group of farmers (about 13,000) are unscrupulous, so is that it was sometimes really difficult finding labor "legal" and that once the workers were able to legalize their status fled to other sectors (as were the construction and hospitality) where no other provinces or elsewhere in Europe. Thus the paradox is that more is needed more skilled labor and it is almost impossible to achieve by the departure of experienced workers. Also, like the rest of the agricultural sectors are being pressured by both the demand side (the conditions imposed by the large retailers are equally harsh for cattle, pigs or vegetables), and by the input side (in this case energy, plastics and other petroleum products). That is, the conditions for the labor market tends to be informal, with a very elastic labor supply and demand is very involved from the left side of profitability. Clearly, this behavior does not justify criminal asocial or directly from farmers, but it helps to understand it. One should also note that we spoke of many small farms, not a large company that is most Simple to order and pay for basic needs of their workers. However, the sector has made many efforts to stabilize the workforce, attending home contracts and increasing the number of hectares social certifications.
Regarding the expansion of biological control, not you're right, but we must not forget that most farmers have always met and complied with the rules. And if the biological control has not previously entered in the field of Almeria, it was because he was not paid by the market and because there were no protocols established or appropriate for many local productions. The problem of pepper caused farmers to adopt it widely, but it was possible because by then had already cost effective solutions for the pepper. Even today, for example, there are still some problems with the tomato, and therefore is not equally spread in pepper. The difference with other models is that local companies are investing and developing procedures to meet the growing conditions in the area.
Forgive the length, hope I have not tired and have added some light on the subject. Greetings



From: Forum on agricultural economy and natural resources on behalf of Jorge Hernandez Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:34

Mira David.

When you were a kid ... I already played the type, distributing leaflets with the heading of Workers and Peasants Ejido, in defense of the common people since Germany's position to their villages of Almeria. And I supported the memory model called Almeria, in the hands of the Dutch. Because like you, how difficult is the development of drylands. Know that Zaragoza and Almeria are the two driest areas of Spain and I had to go to redeem the Monegros (Some costismo in its centenary year).

But when Tomas Garcia Azcarate and I, among many others who were responsible for the Fruit and Vegetable Market, we went to Roquetas to the Conference of cooperatives in 2003, we saw that or not or we spend. Monoculture of something, always causes imbalances. I like the bars.
As one put it, the other also. And that the banks have had, such as construction, a very large share of responsibility. It is very comfortable repeating patterns and now you are face to the wall and hard. You and the complex system of Almeria.

And frankly we have to achieve this rebalancing, before the model collapses. Something that we should meditate before it happens .... a debacle and would not be surprising to international globalization and the postulates of a new food system. Almería I think I read about interesting things that you could diversify the economy.
(aquaculture, pharmaceutical technology, industrial technology ...). The key is the word DIVERSIFY and be sustainable. And Cajamar vocabulary should make it mandatory.

Thanks for your thoughts and nothing else away from me with hatred Almería, because we are brothers torridez ancient and I love the prickly pear liqueur that makes a fellow of your land. If we want to be with Mexico, Syria and other points ... a research center of agricultural resources in arid areas. Where there is extreme chilli and caper emerge as a border in the desert. So reflect on the saints, devotion and a voice crying in the wilderness ... since in Israel knew that the Dead Sea had become the Sea of \u200b\u200bLife, thanks and potassium salts. It's a matter of research, study and diversify.


Ucles On behalf of David Aguilera Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 11:10

Thanks for calling me young, if a little vain, I have put up red :-) I think We're getting to the meeting points. I've been advocating for some time that one of the virtues of this model is its ability to diversify, so it has been for so long the economic heart of the province. May not have diversified crops, but activities. As I mentioned, many farm incomes have been invested in other sectors, mainly the business of ancillary services to industry and agriculture (ISA). They have also been a lot of brick during the last decade, which is nothing different from what happened in the whole country. As I was saying. These companies started producing for farms in Almeria, but now account for goods and services to many other farms. First-like Almeria, now almost any kind. But is that in a few cases, the company has managed to spill into other sectors, as has happened with the very Cajamar or software companies and machinery. That is, if there is diversification. More than it seems at first glance. And from the standpoint of what you comment, aquaculture has developed in the province from the 90's, with fattening farms bream and bass. Agricultural research in the province has long engaged in several lines: improving the greenhouse structures, reuse of waste, integrated control processes, optimization of plastics, etc. On the other hand, there is a long time for a large number of hectares working with organic farming, which have similar problems to others. It is working with algae of different species, you can see some of the world's most advanced reactor at the experimental station Cajamar Foundation. There are also development experiences of other ranges product, and even a chain of grocery stores owned by the cooperatives. The model is not monolithic, moves and try to adapt.
is true that the system is on the ropes, but I think it is a crisis Almería own model, at least not alone. Globalization is at the core of what happens to agriculture, with farms in Europe. If I hurry is also on the basis of financial and debt crisis in which we operate. System is a general economic crisis. And of systemic crisis may leave having refurbished the entire system (does not appear that this is the case, unfortunately) or giving a few tweaks to last a few years (yes, a forward somersault, or a kick to follow). In the current version of the capitalist system, both industrial processes such as distribution have become "commoditized." The value is incorporated (or is left depends on the ideological narrative that we choose) the design process (although less and less, it also marks the trend toward the channeling of this phase of production) and lower sales. In the food chain that leads to absolute power in the retail industry that is imposing what is sold and how (and under what certifications). It also is cannibalizing the product differentiation by introducing their own family of brands. The consumer who chooses freely is a nice paragraph in the textbook, but is quite far from the current reality.
summarize this long speech: 1. Almería model is neither bad nor good, but quite the opposite. It is a survival strategy that has worked for a long time and I suspect it will work because, 2. The problem is systemic, we are digesting globalization and digestion will be heavy, but as society is not outraged and demand a change, the basic game rules will remain the same.
PS: I've only been working for the Foundation Cajamar since 2008, although I am proud to belong to a cooperative body in the effort, humility and work are part of the founding DNA.
Regards,


On behalf of Jorge Hernandez Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:26

On that we completely agree. If the past is not validated by this, is pure pipe dream.

But I do not accept to be taken positions defending the current populist peasantry to defend what has been a blunder of agricultural organizations and especially the financial arrangements to defend development anachronism of the 60's. Populism and was the basis of fascism and is markedly different, defend the peasant, to take him to deal with other farmers in other countries in the interests of local self unworkable in the field of international trade. That's what I call patriotic defense to defend an unrealistic model of balanced and horticulture.

Horto The word derives from the Germanic prefix ort (village), to define agricultural crops near the village. It is unfortunate that fresh local horticulture, biodiversity and quality were lying near an agroindustrial model exclusivity. Now we have to slowly rebuild what ever we had to stop production. Proximity crops, local, fixtures, sustainable, healthy and biodiverse. We ... like the old crop near the village (ort). Again and again repeat that quoted as a paradigm and food in the New York Times, in the City of London or Amsterdam. And I say that something will have to hear that young voice, full of maturity.

O
prefer riding riots and pull tomatoes from Africa to the ground? That's what I did to Perpignan and is today the most active core of the French extreme right, which calls for exclusivity against the appropriate balance that claim. It really hurts to see in my house that I do not like that of others.



Posted on Tuesday 04/05/2011 12:22

longer match your impression of populism, in time some local media was pitting farmers against me because I had dared to say that accommodative positions were choosing instead to apply for grants to continue their proactive attitude. Now do not be surprised if these events occur, are part of the story and provided a collective (rural or not) feel injured what it considers its legitimate rights protest. However, to my knowledge have not been organized gangs of farmers to dump trucks Moroccan Almeria. What it has occurred is that some farmers have crossed the pond from Almeria to produce there, while others have chosen to agree with people there to supplement production and some others are selling products both of Moroccan origin and Almeria. We also comment that I think is no less untenable vegetable production model Almeria Moroccan or Dutch (much more demanding in terms of energy and highly subsidized by the side of the CHP).
On agriculture of proximity, which is actually a model that we lost and it is much more sustainable than today. However, I doubt that we again even in the medium term to the model village, mostly because if the UN does not go astray, since 2007 and there are more people living in cities than in the field, which has serious implications from the standpoint of sustainability. Cities are big black dots in almost all environmental aspects. Moreover, while the incentives of each other is still measured in monetary terms will be very difficult for lower-cost producers do not want to sell higher-priced markets, provided that the endurance and offset the cost of transport. One option would be to ask a strong environmental tax on transport of goods, but I fear who suggested it would be doomed being accused of protectionism and go against the development of disadvantaged peoples.
I see before agriculture aimed at closing their ecological cycles, remain socially and environmentally sustainable development locally and consuming large amounts of energy and resources to reach markets in which will get a meager income, they are very environmentally friendly productions.
Anyway, I do not want to take your voice to the disappointment, I know since you are unavailable to discouragement, but every day I am more convinced that our human nature is the essence of all our events and that this economic system which we have adopted is in the background, most human that we can create.
Greetings (maybe tad laconic)

0 comments:

Post a Comment